Sunday, March 20, 2011

Help me decide: basement windows

I need some help.

I ordered bamboo roman blinds from Overstock.com. $17.99 each for 48" width blinds!

They may or may not have sat around in the entryway for a couple of days before I got around to hanging them. They were pretty easy to hang (I actually did it myself). I just pre-drilled some holes in the wooden window frame so it would be easier to mount the brackets. Once the brackets were up, I simply attached the actual shades to the brackets. Here's what I ended up with:


I really like the color and the natural look! Now here's the issue:


That is in the fully retracted position. See how much of the window is still covered up? I'm worried that they cover up too much of the window, which is something I really want to avoid doing in a basement. (Obviously less cave-like is desirable.)

So while I really do not like the idea of shipping these back, I'm thinking of returning them (though I really do like the look...) Can you tell I'm conflicted?

I've come up with a couple of other options, either going with plain white mini-blinds, like these from Home Depot:


Or white roll-ups, like these from Ikea:
So, what do you think? Any other ideas I haven't considered? You can add your answer to the poll below and leave a comment if you have other ideas. Thanks for the input!



No comments:

Post a Comment